Shared some advice with a developer on a bootcamp on staying motivated:
- Build a streak, Joining in with #100DaysOfCode was super motivating for me.
- Work in small and consistent chunks. In the beginning, I liked to use Pomodoro technique to force concentrated learning for 25 mins intervals, then 5 min break. I would say to myself ‘lets do 1 Pomodoro worth of reading’ and I would always end up doing more once i got started.
- Remove friction. know exactly what you’re going to work on each day. yup this means making a plan of what you want to learn in advance. I knew i was going to freeCodeCamp for a couple of months so this made it easy for me.
- write down all your ideas of things you want to build and learn. every single one. Then prioritise and give your self a deadline. Here’s how I organise mine - https://alexchiu.notion.site/af99042d8d314a9bba17b522bc16671c?v=4504ef02aef04c8690c6f3dde403fc3d…
- Motivation is overrated. Build habits. Try and make coding a part of your daily routine. I highly recommend reading Atomic Habits where he talks about this in great detail - https://jamesclear.com/atomic